Pagina's

vrijdag 13 mei 2011

Over gehoorzaamheid

Af en toe komt het onderwerp 'gehoorzaamheid' voorbij op de e-maillijst voor christelijke thuisonderwijzers. Dit is een artikel waar ik veel aan heb bij het nadenken over dit onderwerp. De laatste twee alinea's van het artikel vind je hier.

Kern van het artikel voor mij:
"Demanding obedience reveals something about our hearts that isn't pretty. The word itself, 'demand', carries with it the reality of lack of patience and self-control. It is impatient and 'other controlling'. Yes, children are instructed to obey, but it's an instruction between them and God. When I get myself in there I am violating the very next stated instruction by Paul and provoking my children to anger. It's more difficult to stay out of the instruction for children to obey, but it's also healtier and more boundaried."
(...)
"When I say that 'kindness is more important than my child's obedience' that is because when I show 'kindness' I am being obedient! In the very act of showing my child kindness I am modelling for then obedience! What an amazing concept. I can teach my child obedience simply by being obedient myself. We must remember that children are watching and they hear our actions louder than our words. If we demand obedience and are not obedient ourselves then our demands will fall on deaf ears (and ears that are provoked to anger)."

De theorie heb ik redelijk op een rijtje, mede dankzij dit artikel. In de praktijk vind ik het een hele klus om me zo op te stellen. Thuisonderwijs (ouderschap sowieso!) is ook voor ouders erg leerzaam. Waardevol, en pittig...!

1 opmerking:

Sandra zei

Engels lezen vergt altijd stilte, dat is er nu even niet, maar ik ga het zeker nog eens lezen!
Vriendelijkheid en gehoorzaamheid grenzen inderdaad ergens aan elkaar... vriendelijkheid komt meer uit jezelf, gehoorzaamheid niet altijd...
Ik blijf er over nadenken vandaag...